Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Plumbing Leak Detection

As I mentioned in the previous post I had a plumber out last week regarding our water pressure. I was initially worried we might have a water leak and while we didn't he showed me a way I was not aware of about how to detect if that's the problem.

On the water meter along with the dial there's a low flow indicator. In our case it's a blue gear shape but from what I see online it can also be a triangle or other shape and another color. According to the plumber this will detect the slightest of leaks. So if you suspect that's your problem make sure the water is off at every faucet in the house and then pop the cover off in your yard where the water meter is located and look at the small dial. If it's moving, water is being used somewhere in the house. (To demonstrate it to me he turned on the water at the outside bib.)


The link above also mentions how to tell if the leak is occurring in the house or in the supply line leading to the house. It's useful knowledge to have for future reference. 


No comments:

Post a Comment